Makes 1 gallon water kefir
- 1 1/2 cups water kefir grains (see photo on right)
- 2/3 cups organic dark brown sugar, rapadura, sucanat
- 1 – 2tsp. organic unsulfured blackstrap molasses (optional, but do this at least every few times you brew)
- 1/4 tsp. bicarbonate of soda (if you do not have hard water or mineral rich water – helps with the pH of the water and the fizzy outcome)
- 20 drops concentrated mineral drops or 2 egg shells rinsed and dried out
For a half gallon
- ¾ cup water kefir grains
- 1/3 cup organic dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp organic black strap molasses
- 1/8 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 10 drops concentrated minerals
Mix water and sugar in a gallon jar with the best quality water you can. Stir to dissolve sugar. Add in the grains, put on the lid, place in a cupboard and let ferment for 48 hours. The brew should be fizzy and slightly tart. Strain out to remove grains and place in small jars or another gallon jar for a second ferment which is the flavoring part of the process. You will add your flavor ingredients to the brew and allow to ferment for another 48 hours.
Flavor addition options;
- Cream soda – 1/2 cup raisins and 1 vanilla bean or a good pour of homemade vanilla. Add another pinch of bicarbonate of soda if you want to induce fizz.
- Italian Cream Soda – to your finished cream soda add a splash of raw cream to your glass to mimic those fancy Italian Cream soda drinks at coffee shops! Mmmm……..
- GingerAle – 2-4 tablespoons grated ginger root, 1/2-1 cup organic raisins or 4 chopped and pitted dates.
- Lemon/Lime Spritzer – 4-6 limes juiced, zest of 1-2 limes
You can also kefir fresh juices, such as apple cider as well as coconut water. The possibilities are endless! This will keep your family intrigued and having fun all while getting some awesome health benefits! Here’s to your health – drink up!